AbTeC Island is AbTeC’s headquarters in cyberspace, situated in the online 3D virtual world, Second Life.
Activating AbTeC Island is an initiative to see what can happen if we open an Aboriginally determined location in cyberspace to the public. Every Friday from 2:30 PM ET to 4:30 PM ET, members of our team will log in and actively welcome visitors to AbTeC Island. We can show you around, help you to customize your avatar, or even teach you how to build a snowman in our virtual studio/classroom!
Anyone can visit*. Here’s how:
1. First, you will need a Second Life account. If you don’t have one, it’s free and quick to get. Go here to do so: https://join.secondlife.com/?lang=en-US
2. Once your account is created, you’ll be sent to a webpage where you can choose your first avatar. Just as you need a body in this world, you will need an avatar to interact in the virtual world of Second Life.
3. Download and install the Second Life application.
4. Open Second Life and log in with your account name and password.
5. You will see your chosen avatar, with your username above its head, appear somewhere in the enormous virtual world. Now you have to teleport to AbTeC Gallery.
6. To find us, either:
a) Paste the following link into the field at the top of your window. You should appear in front of the gallery. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/AbTeC/104/195/1011
b) Use Second Life’s Search function, like this:
• Go to the drop-down menu ta the top of the window and select ‘World’ > ‘World map’ from the drop down menu;
• Type “AbTeC” into the search bar and click ‘Find’;
• Select AbTeC from the search results and click ‘Teleport.’
*You can check this link to see if your computer meets Second Life’s System Requirements.
If neither of these options work, and you are accessing AbTeC Island during our scheduled hours, do a people search for one of the following team members who will be online to rescue you:
• Abbi Bigboots
• Abbi Macbeth
• Abbi Glom
Note: Anyone with the first name “Abbi” is a member of the AbTeC team.
We look forward to seeing you!